Skip to main content

The Iron Chef speaks out!!!

This post was written by a guest blogger. I have been working as a private domestic for a permanent representative of a small but humble state to the UN for almost 10 yrs now and am fortunate because my work place is just across the street from the Palais Eynard (mayor's office) and a couple of steps to Parc Bastion and a stone throw distance to the Place de Bourg du Four where Palais the Justice and Police station are situated. For many years now I have been a part of this small but lovely neighborhood, exchanges "bonjour" or hello with a smile, as most of us do here, with the people I meet in the street and witnessed the changes of the area. All those cultural manifestations, sporting events and summer festivals even those lovely sunny days at the park where peole relax and enjoy the greens and shades of a hot summer day --these enhances the lively ambiance of the neighborhood. Then came the building renovation last year. In just 12 months, there were about 4 buildings renovated one after another.My concern is not the noise, neither the dust nor the traffic but those people born with handicap. I have witnessed a good amount of them,some with a guide dog,others with just a walking stick going to the library. The Braille library is situated just under the huge renovation project, the only place where the blinds come to get reading materials. The pavement between the Croix Rouge bus stop and the Braille library had been their path for many years but with the scaffoldings and barriers for construction, this has become a major and dangerous obstacle to many of them. The other day I have witnessed a blind lady lost under the constuction,struggling so hard to find her way out of this labyrinth,completely lost between construction site and the badly parked vehicles. I felt anger and my eyes got wet seeing a helpless person in such a distress. I immediately offered my assistance and took her by the hand, walking her to the bus stop. Seeing the smile and the relief from the lady, I felt disappointment and so enraged that she has to go through such a mess. I simply hope that someone realized the difficulty they are going through. We can do something...but alone I can't other than to speak out and share my thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wonder...

How can I stop looking up the sky? With it's beauty that never ceases to amaze me.

Our mid-week get away in Dijon

Dijon, one of the cities in France, was the destination of our mid-week get away. The city,which is well known for its mustard,is a 3-hour train ride from Genève via Lausanne. As I've mentioned in my previous post ,this was my first time to visit the city. We arrived mid-day to a gloomy surrounding and headed to Quick, sort of Jollibee here. Yet,the real treat was in the old town. Walking on the paved street for me was like being transported to another era. Aside from Musée des Beaux-Arts Dijon, we were able to visit Cathédrale de Saint Bénigne and the Notre Dame de Dijon. However,due to time constraint we were not able to visit other places. Our evening meal was in Le Théâtre des Sens, a small but cozy restaurant and where I've tried escargot. Yes, I did and blame it on the kir! Our dinner was really good,the waiter was very cheery and accomodating. We stayed at the Hotel Des Ducs where we spent the rest of the night watching crime scene investigation. Ah! the joy of havin

Light in the sky

For a long time I am fascinated by the sky, but this has been fuelled up when I joined Sky Watch Friday . I am really thankful for this!