Skip to main content

Wise and frugal # 1

Genève is considered to be the 7th costly European city and finding ways to penny pinch needs more than just buying on sale. I consider myself a neophyte on frugal living and am looking forward to be in the ranking of the Frugal Zealot. ; ) So, how do I spend less? magazines--where to get them for free or under 5sf?
  • family/friends-I let them know my interest on these.
  • local library- they have loads of reading materials which can be taken home.
  • American library -they sell magazines really cheap and recently I found the latest issue of The Garden for only 2sf.
books--I still can't be 100% thrifty on these. Though I indulge myself from time to time to get a new one, mostly, I buy second hand-where?
  • book sale
  • Renfile
  • Caritas
  • kermesse (church/school)
Karen's clothes--gifts from family and friends, otherwise I go to "Bourse aux Vêtements", they sell inexpensive children clothes in very good condition. The places I have mentioned are just few examples where to get things at a low price because in my quest to live frugally, I have discovered that Genève has a lot to offer, maybe not in the sense that I want it to be, but all the same, the city is full of possibilities.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello missus Frugal now? I too by second hand clothes for Alice and Myself. You just have to make some time to look. For Alice, I do most of it at the Vet shops run by Croix Rouge. I find the prices very reasonable and the state of the clothing in good condition. I will list the addresses of the locations below in case u are interested. give Karen a kiss for me. Jenna


Vêt'Shop Vintage
Vêtements sélectionnés dans le but de séduire la clientèle et de soutenir les activités de la Croix-Rouge genevoise.
Rue des Étuves 16
1201 Genève
tél.: +41 22 738 74 40

Du mardi au vendredi: 10h15 - 18h45
Le samedi: 13h30 - 17h00


Vêt'Shop Friperie des Eaux-Vives
Magasin de vêtements choisis pour femmes.


Rue des Eaux-Vives 84
1207 Genève
tél.: +41 22 736 34 45

Du mardi au vendredi: 10h15 - 18h45
Le samedi: 13h30 - 17h00


Vêt'Shop Baby Grottes
Magasin de vêtements et jouets à prix doux pour enfants de 0 à 9 ans.
Rue des Grottes 20
1201 Genève
tél.: +41 22 734 88 53

Du mardi au vendredi: 10h15 - 18h45
Samedi: fermé
Irene said…
Hi,
Indeed Europe is expensive. So mostly of my furniture are second hand..its not that old but also nice and of course, we save more money! clothes-- I wait, if there is sale, mostly at the end of the season ( I buy only if I need it ;-)
Thanx 4 dropping by the way to my blog..Have a nice day.
Regards,
Irene

Popular posts from this blog

I wonder...

How can I stop looking up the sky? With it's beauty that never ceases to amaze me.

Our mid-week get away in Dijon

Dijon, one of the cities in France, was the destination of our mid-week get away. The city,which is well known for its mustard,is a 3-hour train ride from Genève via Lausanne. As I've mentioned in my previous post ,this was my first time to visit the city. We arrived mid-day to a gloomy surrounding and headed to Quick, sort of Jollibee here. Yet,the real treat was in the old town. Walking on the paved street for me was like being transported to another era. Aside from Musée des Beaux-Arts Dijon, we were able to visit Cathédrale de Saint Bénigne and the Notre Dame de Dijon. However,due to time constraint we were not able to visit other places. Our evening meal was in Le Théâtre des Sens, a small but cozy restaurant and where I've tried escargot. Yes, I did and blame it on the kir! Our dinner was really good,the waiter was very cheery and accomodating. We stayed at the Hotel Des Ducs where we spent the rest of the night watching crime scene investigation. Ah! the joy of havin

Light in the sky

For a long time I am fascinated by the sky, but this has been fuelled up when I joined Sky Watch Friday . I am really thankful for this!