18 April 2011
92/100
Present Day
The picture was taken in Plaine de Plainpalais. Looking at the image, I am sure that it was a day outing with my daughters. I wanted them to have a feel of my childhood experience.
I grew up seeing goats, cows, and chickens all around our neighborhood. Dogs and cats freely roamed the neighborhood.
Mama had some chickens for sale we called "40 days," and I used to help her, along with the other members of the family, in preparing the chickens at 5 in the morning to be sold in the market the same day. The setup was like an assembly line- a large pot with boiling water, a plucking area, a cleaning nook, and then the packing area- usually a sack, where the prepared chickens were put.
In this kind of scenario, warmed by the firewood in our kitchen, hot coffee and radio were our companions. My grandmother, Nanay Manang, glued to our white radio, was also present, intently listening to the Toning program on DZBB, a glass of water in front of her.
This early morning program was something she would not miss for the world. The chatter competed with the broadcaster's voice, engulfing those who wanted to listen and believe. As I took time out from my task of plucking the chicken's feathers, I would sit beside my Nanay Manang, listen to the radio, and then join her in drinking the water when it was time to do so.
I don't think I would be able to prepare a chicken like we used to, becoming a bit of a softie, though we opted to keep chickens for eggs. The main worry is the fox and bird predators. But this is the aspect of animal food chain I have to contend with, not without a heavy heart.
Reliving my childhood is not my ultimate goal for my daughters. It is merely experiencing the simplest joy in every little thing in THEIRS. Riding a bike, swimming in the sea, playing volleyball with cousins, or just being with our family and finally having one's turn to sing in the karaoke.



Comments