Skip to main content

A birthday missive to a friend

Dear Ellen,

It was very late last night when you suddenly appeared in my thoughts. I stopped with editing my video and greeted you in my head then said a prayer. Later, images of us during our university days flashed before me and I smiled.
Do you remember when we use to go to HP and were mistaken to be SM sales clerk because of our school uniform?
The Graduates of 1991
                           
This morning, which I am sure is your bday, I realized that you were in my dream. There were  3 girls on a hill and one was pointing where Pantabangan was. You have mentioned that your family was displaced a long time ago and I know that the girl was showing  your family's village. It might have been so hard for everyone to leave their birth place and  start in a new one.

Before finally getting up, I greeted you again,saying how I miss you and that I love and admire you, my dear friend. 
My dear friend, Ellen U.

I admire you for your dedication to improve the status quo, of that mission to create a better world. I love you for your selflessness, courage and kindness.
Thank you for my first rally where Myra and I ended up in the back of a jeepney after some tear gas was fired and we were dispersed. I cannot remember how we ended up in the National Library with the others. That was quite an experience.


Years ago, I went to St.Scho and passed by the registrar's to get some papers. Apparently, we were in the same project and a copy was needed so that my papers could be released. It was decided that Lory and I together with little Dino embark on a little trip to see you. During the last leg of our journey, we found ourselves in a jeepney and it was after the driver asked our destination that we learned that you were gone.
The trip to your home seemed long. What followed-the house visit, your family, the cemetery and your name on the tombstone felt like a dream. That night we decided to go to Tarlac and tell the news to Louie. Everything seemed blurred though denial and pain, I will not forget. EVER. 
I do not want to think of how your life might have been but I rejoice and celebrate  the life you have created. It might be a short one but surely a life well lived.
You are in my thoughts. Happy birthday, Elenski! Say hi to Miss A. for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wonder...

How can I stop looking up the sky? With it's beauty that never ceases to amaze me.

Our mid-week get away in Dijon

Dijon, one of the cities in France, was the destination of our mid-week get away. The city,which is well known for its mustard,is a 3-hour train ride from Genève via Lausanne. As I've mentioned in my previous post ,this was my first time to visit the city. We arrived mid-day to a gloomy surrounding and headed to Quick, sort of Jollibee here. Yet,the real treat was in the old town. Walking on the paved street for me was like being transported to another era. Aside from Musée des Beaux-Arts Dijon, we were able to visit Cathédrale de Saint Bénigne and the Notre Dame de Dijon. However,due to time constraint we were not able to visit other places. Our evening meal was in Le Théâtre des Sens, a small but cozy restaurant and where I've tried escargot. Yes, I did and blame it on the kir! Our dinner was really good,the waiter was very cheery and accomodating. We stayed at the Hotel Des Ducs where we spent the rest of the night watching crime scene investigation. Ah! the joy of havin

Light in the sky

For a long time I am fascinated by the sky, but this has been fuelled up when I joined Sky Watch Friday . I am really thankful for this!