Skip to main content

The girl in America

She was holding onto the magnolia tree, smiling. 

Looking at that polaroid photo, I thought she resembled Sharon Cuneta

It was my Nanay Manang, my paternal grandmother who showed me the picture. The girl was the granddaughter of her friend and was living in America. Once, she was given a blue sweater and let me try it. I itched all over. What is this sweater, I asked? It keeps one warm, she said. 

In my young mind, I wanted to be that girl. She seemed so happy and contented. I also wanted to go to America.

The United States. It's the only country that existed in my mind. The magnolia tree, the only tree I love. 

But, the love did not persist for long because my interest turned to our  yard. Chesa tree was fruiting, there was also jackfruit and santol, and not far was the sampalok tree. Sampaguita were everywhere and though not as big as the magnolia tree, the scent overwhelms me with joy every time I sweep the yard. The chore which I have a love-hate relationship. How could one not love my Isla Berde and leave behind the San Francisco and its kind, the platito plants even the young bamboo shrubs? 

I stopped dreaming of climbing the magnolia tree, instead, I climbed mango and guava trees with siblings and cousins.  Ate sliced babagan with vinegar and chilies. Run down the river and watched everyone swim.  Grilled cashew nuts and made sure the chickens were far, far away.  

I stopped dreaming of magnolias and instead hold on to flowering coffee trees. Made necklace out of cassava leaves, and snacked on bignay from the lone tree by the road. 

I stopped thinking about magnolias and instead catch kuliglig. Watched Banda 12 and Banda 16 in the plaza, Jose Rizal mightily standing tall. 

I stopped thinking about magnolias and lived the best childhood experience in my hometown

And the blue sweater? It was much later in my life that I realized it was made of wool. And just like the magnolia tree of America, not really been forgotten but neatly folded somewhere in my mind. Yet the tiny seed that the picture instill in me - the dream to explore and experience more out of life- never left me. 

I bet Nanay Manang is mightily proud. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wonder...

How can I stop looking up the sky? With it's beauty that never ceases to amaze me.

Our mid-week get away in Dijon

Dijon, one of the cities in France, was the destination of our mid-week get away. The city,which is well known for its mustard,is a 3-hour train ride from Genève via Lausanne. As I've mentioned in my previous post ,this was my first time to visit the city. We arrived mid-day to a gloomy surrounding and headed to Quick, sort of Jollibee here. Yet,the real treat was in the old town. Walking on the paved street for me was like being transported to another era. Aside from Musée des Beaux-Arts Dijon, we were able to visit Cathédrale de Saint Bénigne and the Notre Dame de Dijon. However,due to time constraint we were not able to visit other places. Our evening meal was in Le Théâtre des Sens, a small but cozy restaurant and where I've tried escargot. Yes, I did and blame it on the kir! Our dinner was really good,the waiter was very cheery and accomodating. We stayed at the Hotel Des Ducs where we spent the rest of the night watching crime scene investigation. Ah! the joy of havin

Light in the sky

For a long time I am fascinated by the sky, but this has been fuelled up when I joined Sky Watch Friday . I am really thankful for this!