14 June 2011
Frugal living in this expensive Switzerland seems very unlikely for someone like me, but this is what I've been practicing for sometimes now. Though I don't consider myself religiously applying it. So there would be moments of giving in to something, but still in moderation, I think.
However, my sensitivity was put to the test when I found out that some people were commenting on the way I dress, also adding that it's because I bought them at a yard sale. Even my daughter wasn't spare of this. It hurts. I then questioned my ability to provide for my daughter. But does buying new stuff for my girls make me a better mother?
We each choose how we want to live our lives, and buying second-hand is one of those things which brings me joy. This is me. And as long as there's a yard sale in Geneva, you guys would find me there. Rummaging through stuff, admiring every knick-knack, and filling my bags with Hello Kitties and Dora books that make my girls and their mother really, really happy.
86/100+Present day
Nothing has changed besides the fact that I do not care anymore about what others say. My girls grew up coming with me to a yard sale, both for buying and selling 2nd-hand stuff.
I changed my ideas on second-hand while single, living in my Mama's apartment and questioning how I manage my finances. Lo and behold, I found a book by Amy Dacyczyn. But this one is for someone who's looking for ways to save on just about everything. For someone who wants to prioritize saving BUT the book might not be for everyone.
I now cringe at paying full price for a pair of jeans. I tend to avoid stores and wait for yard sales because when you finally find a pair of Mango jeans for 8chf. You'd understand everything.
As they say: "One man's junk is another man's treasure".

Comments